Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as Hercules? Britney Spears writing a novel? Surprisingly enough, those weren’t the only announcements turning heads this past week. Check out the Weekly Top 10 for a look at headlines making a splash in the entertainment world!
- In order to avoid the threat of breast cancer, English television personality and businesswoman Sharon Osbourne reveals she underwent a double mastectomy.
- Grammy Award-winning folk duo The Civil Wars cancel their tour dates due to “internal discord and irreconcilable differences of ambition”.
- Producer-director and geek extraordinaire J.J. Abrams is set to receive a lifetime achievement award from the Producers Guild of America at the age of 46.
- Ska punk band No Doubt pull the music video for “Looking Hot” after offending the Native American community.
- Director Brett Ratner is developing a Hercules film with professional-wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson starring as the titular hero.
- David Yates, director of the final four Harry Potter installments, is moving forward with an adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan of the Apes.
- Britney Spears is in talks with HarperCollins to write a novel based on her own life experiences.
- Ke$ha’s new music video for “Die Young” is stirring the pot for its usage of occult imagery.
- Mark Wahlberg has signed on to headline Transformers 4, set to take place four years after the third film in the series and feature an all new robot and human cast.
- Check out the newest trailer for The Following, Fox’s upcoming serial killer television series starring Kevin Bacon.